When I saw this 21-question raw-themed survey on a few of my fave raw food blogs (like The Raw Food Nerd, Bitt’s Blog, and The Health Sleuth), I knew I had to join in on the fun. I don’t know about you, but when I was younger, surveys like this were hugely popular to email around among friends, and I always loved getting them and filling them out. So this is all kinds of fun for me, and it’s a cool way to get to know other bloggers a bit better… join in on the fun and post in on your own blog!
1. Favourite raw vegan milk? Hemp milk for nutritional value, almond milk for taste.
2. What are the top 3 recipes you are planning to make? A raw ice cream cake for Heathy’s Ultimate Raw Ice Cream Cake Challenge! I have my flavour combination all planned out in my head. It’s going to be good, folks.
3. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? Hmm, this is a tough one. I haven’t made anything for a long time that hasn’t turned out… raw recipes are pretty forgiving. Oh wait, the raspberry jelly layer I tried to create when I first made my moon pies was a total failure.
4. How do you organize your recipes? Um, in my head? I should keep better track of things I create… but unless it’s bookmarked on the computer, already in a recipe book, or posted on my blog, it tends to stay in my brain.
5. Compost, trash or garbage disposal? Compost! The city of Toronto collects it every Tuesday 🙂
6. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods… what would they be? Obviously, kale. Avocado. And for fruit… cherries! My fave. Let’s hope this is a tropical island with abundant tropical fruit.
7. Fondest food memory from your childhood? Chowing down on freshly-picked produce from my mom’s garden every summer. Yum.
8. Favourite raw ice cream? How about all of it? If I am forced to choose, I think I’ll go with the Mint Sundae from Pure Food & Wine… pure minty heaven.
9. Most loved kitchen appliance? Definitely the Vita Mix. That baby gets used at least twice per day!
10. Spice/herb you can’t be without? I’m with Alysha on this one: cilantro all the way. The best herb known to humankind.
11. Recipe (cook) book you have owned for the longest time? I think the first cookbook I acquired is the Student’s Vegetarian Cookbook, a birthday present from my mom at some point during my teen years. I still recommend it to young people who want to go veg.
12. Favourite flavour of jam/jelly? Homemade black currant jelly!
13. Favourite raw (vegan) recipe to serve to an omni friend? Dessert, hands down. I tend not to serve the same thing twice because I like trying new recipes, but any form of raw dessert I’ve ever served to an omni friend has been a smashing hit. Whether it’s key lime pie, coconut lime cookies, chocolate ganache tart, macaroons, cookies, moon pies, mallomars, ice cream, chocolate layer cake, chocolate caramel bars… the list goes on.
14. Favourite meal to make? I’m going to have to be basic on this one and go with an avocado-massaged kale salad. It’s my lunch basically every day and I never get tired of devouring it! The key is mixing up the add-on veggies.
15. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. Hemp seed, a zillion kinds of frozen fruit, nut flour.
16. Favourite grocery store? Whole Foods… I might go almost every day. Bad, I know, but it’s on the way home, and my gym’s right next door. Too tempting for me to resist.
17. Food blog you read the most? It’s hard to narrow down to one – I love so many food blogs! Probably Gena’s Choosing Raw?
18. What is one ingredient that you’ve become familiar with that you can’t imagine you ever lived without? My eyes have been opened to an entire universe of raw staples that I never knew existed! So it’s tough to choose just one… but probably coconut oil. It’s so key to making amazing raw desserts.
19. Most coveted condiment? Capers! Or sundried tomatoes in salads.
20. Best food smell? As awesome as it is to eat raw, this is one area where cooked food will always reign supreme… I’ll go with the smell of Thai restaurants. Something about the combination of spices always draws me in.
21. Best cooked food memory that you’d like to re-create raw? A German cake roll. I used to work at a really nice little German restaurant in high school, and one of their signature desserts was a rich layer of creamy ganache, rolled inside a light and fluffy cake later, sliced and garnished with whipped cream.
I hope you enjoyed reading this! Now go and post one of your own 🙂
As I mentioned above, my ice cream cake plans are well underway — I even picked up some young coconuts in Chinatown today. So check back later this week to see what I come up with…